Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hong Kong Sign Language (especially for Lorene)

One of the books I was able to borrow from Tai Po Library was this dictionary of Hong Kong Sign Language. Because of my interest in Australian Sign Language (Auslan) I was especially curious to compare the two languages.








I took these photos of random pages in the dictionary. If you have trouble seeing the drawings clearly, you can click on the pictures and they should maximise for you.









































There are a few similarities between the two languages. For instance, I noticed that the sign for "how many" is the same as shown below:
HKSL

Auslan


However, the alphabet and the majority of basic signs are completely different. You can see the differences between HKSL and Auslan with the examples below of "who" and "where".
HKSL

Auslan


HKSL




Auslan

No comments:

Post a Comment